This stock is great to help build up immunity through the rest of the winter cold and flu season. Use this as a base to add to all your favorite soup recipes.
- 1-2 two-inch pieces of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled & crushed
- 1 medium size onion, cut into three-inch pieces
- 1 pound chicken bones, chicken carcass
- 4 dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 6 pieces (~ 20 grams) astragalus (Huang Qi)
- 6 pieces (~ 20 grams) codenopsis (Dang Shen)
- 12 cups water
- Dried or fresh oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves to taste (optional)
- Place all ingredients (minus the herbs) in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer, covered, for 4-8 hours
- Add astragalus and codenopsis for last hour
- Add optional Mediterranean herbs for last half hour
- Strain broth through strainer or mesh, removing bones and herbs
- Use broth immediately, store in fridge for several days, or divide into smaller portions and freeze for later use
This stock is especially good for increasing immunity, to counteract frequent colds and fatigue, and to help strengthen bones.
The Chinese herbs help tonify Lung and Spleen qi, boost deep immunity, and harmonize ying and wei qi.
The Mediterranean herbs are great to upregulate the immune system and bring cold & flu systems to the surface of the body to be expelled.