1-2 two-inch pieces of fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled & crushed
1 medium size onion, cut into three-inch pieces
1 pound chicken bones, chicken carcass
4 dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms
6 pieces (~ 20 grams) astragalus (Huang Qi)* and/or
6 pieces (~ 20 grams) codenopsis (Dang Shen)
12 cups water
Dried or fresh oregano, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves to taste (optional)
1. Place all ingredients (minus the herbs) in a large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat and let simmer, covered, for 4-8 hours
3. Add astragalus and codenopsis for last hour
4. Add optional Mediterranean herbs for last half hour
5. Strain broth through strainer or mesh, removing
bones and herbs
6. Use broth immediately, store in fridge for several days, or divide into smaller portions and freeze for later use.
The Chinese herbs help tonify Lung and Spleen qi, boost Wei qi. The Mediterranean herbs are great to upregulate the immune system and bring cold & flu symptoms to the surface of the body to be expelled.
* We have limited supplies of bulk Astragalus root available at the clinic for purchase
Healthy Lungs Fritillaria Pears
This dish is good for soothing a dry or
chronic cough, dry throat, bronchitis, asthma or
allergies. It will help moisten the Lungs, clear Heat
& transform phlegm.
2. Place 1 Tbsp of the fritillaria powder, 1 tsp honey, ¼ tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp cardamom in the hole of each pear.
3. Place the pears in a steamer, cover and cook for 40 minutes or until soft. Alternately, the pears can be baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until soft.
you have access to the fritallaria bulbs grind to powder
in a food mill, etc to use.